On-Line Coachings for Audition Arias, Monologues, and Complete Role Preparation.
Private Audition Coaching
I provide singers the tools they need to prepare audition material that is both grounded in tradition and that dares to create a unique, honest and motivated performance. The specificity of this work enlivens the audition material with bold acting choices, helping singers generate the confidence to do their best moment-to-moment work in the audition room itself.
Nothing replaces a One-on-One Coaching in person, but Coaching On-line is the only way to work right now. It does allow for flexibility in scheduling, especially when we are not in the same cities, and financial flexibility since you are not responsible for renting a rehearsal studio for us to work. I am always committed to keeping my own fee affordable for you.
I have created a 3 Dimensional Technique designed to “sculpt the space” around solo performance and I have successfully employed these concepts with singers over the past 20 years. It is the “bang for the buck” part of my instruction that helps the singer to stand out from the herd, to gain control over the pieces no matter where they are performed, and to truly enjoy performing them again.
The Cube of Space Technique provides a genuine multi-dimensional structure that helps performers make the invisible visible by creating a grounded, motivated and honest performance. By focusing imagery in a way that imprints the voice with specific dramatic action, The 5 points of the Space, the 3 Levels of Consciousness, and the 5 Movements of Pure Thought combine to create a tangible and reliable foundation, freeing singers to make bold and active choices, and to become more physically expressive during the audition.
Things to Know
Scheduling Available by appointment. Weekday times vary per day–afternoons EST preferred. Weekend & Evening Hours by arrangement.
I am continuing to charge my low fee of $60.00 per hour for all coachings. Once you confirm with me you will pay for all the arranged coachings in advance.
There is an additional $5.00 Fee for international payments using PayPal.
Payment must be received 48 hours in advance. I accept payments via VENMO, PayPal, or ZELLE.
- Please be prepared to sing your aria with a pre-recorded accompaniment or APP. If you are able to have an accompanist in the same room with you, all the better.
- Position your camera so I can see your full body.
- Email me a pdf of a clean copy of the music at least 48 hours in advance.
- If your aria is not in French or English, I will also need a legibly written word-for-word translation on the line of music: not a translation on another page, and not the existing English translation of the piece which is not word specific.
- You must be memorized “off book.” Please be familiar with the entire show as our work of creating action will be informed by the context of the selection within the entire work.
- PLEASE NOTE: We will work on Audition Material such as an Aria from and Opera or Song from a Musical. We will not work on Art Song or Lieder unless agreed in advance. Singers who wish to work on The Doll Song from HOFFMAN, Glitter and Be Gay from CANDIDE, Mein Herr Marquis from DIE FLEDERMAUS, or “scenas” like Ophelia’s Mad Scene from HAMLET, Max’s Aria from DER FREISCHUTZ, Non monsiuer mon mari from LES MAMMELLES de TIRESIAS, or Zerbinetta’s Aria from ARIADNE please let me know in advance as they require special considerations and will require a longer period of time or number of sessions
I need 48 hours to cancel or move a coaching time at no cost to you, since it will take me that long to replace the hour with another artist. You may cancel or re-arrange coachings after that, but it will not affect any fees paid or owing.
Please note: due to limited availability, there are NO cancellations for Weekend coachings: once confirmed, you must pay for that time.
Several companies ask for spoken monologues as part of the audition package, and many singers have asked to work with me on spoken texts. We will analyze the monologue with dramatic tools and then tweak the presentation so you can perform it on camera or in a larger space.
- Spoken monologues generally take at least 2 sessions before you are confident performing them on your own.
- Monologues must be in English. There is no need for musical accompaniment.
- We will work with the text in front of you for the first session and then off-book.
- There will be an additional charge if you would like me to provide a monologue for you.